Guidance: Armed forces compensation: a guide

Updated: Replaced leaflet with the latest version

There are a number of compensation schemes available to UK serving and former serving personnel who are injured as a result of their service in the armed forces. The scheme that applies to each individual will depend on when and where you served.

The guidance provides information on the following schemes:

The armed forces compensation scheme (AFCS)

You can claim under the AFCS where the illness or injury was caused as a result of service on or after 6 April 2005. You do not need to have left the armed forces before claiming.

The war pensions scheme (WPS)

You can claim under the WPS if you are no longer serving and your disablement was caused as a result of service in the armed forces before 6 April 2005.

The criminal injuries compensation (overseas) (CIC(O)) scheme

You can claim under the criminal injuries compensation (overseas) scheme if you or your eligible dependants are the innocent victim of a crime of violence while serving overseas.

Related information: Pensions for veterans Armed forces compensation scheme review Armed Forces Compensation Scheme review: one year on Veterans UK FAQs on the Armed Forces Independence Payment
Local copy of Veterans_UK_AFCSWPS_Leaflet_1.pdf

seen at 14:44, 13 September in Publications on GOV.UK.
Email this to a friend.