Counter-Terrorist Asset Freezing Regime
Greg Clark (Tunbridge Wells, Conservative)
Under the Terrorist Asset-Freezing etc. Act 2010 (“TAFA 2010”), the Treasury is required to report quarterly to Parliament on its operation of the UK’s asset-freezing regime mandated by UN Security Council resolution (UNSCR) 1373.
This is the seventh report under TAFA 2010 and it covers the period from
Annexes 1 and 2 to this statement provide a breakdown by name of all those designated by the UK and the EU in pursuance of UN Security Council resolution 1373.
The following table sets out the key asset-freezing activity in the UK during the quarter ended
|TAFA 2010||EU Reg (EC) 2580/2001||Al-Qae da regime UNSCR1989|
|Assets frozen (as at 30/09/2012)||£29,000||£11,000||£65,000(1)|
|Number of accounts frozen in UK (at 30/09/12)||68||10||24|
|New accounts frozen||0||0||0|
|Number of designations (at 30/09/12)||40||37||306|
|(i) new designations (during Q2 2012)||0||0||0|
|(iii) individuals in custody in UK||14||0||3|
|(iv) individuals in UK, not in detention||5||0||3|
|(v) individuals overseas||13||12||232|
|(vi) groups||8 (0 in UK)||25 (1 in UK)||68 (1 in UK)|
|Individuals by nationality (i) UK Nationals(2) (ii) Non UK Nationals||15 17||n/a||n/a|
|Renewal of designation||0||n/a||n/a|
|General Licences (i) Issued in Q2 (ii) Amended (iii) Revoked||(i) 0 (ii) 0 (iii) 0|
|(i) Issued in Q2 (ii) Revoked||(i) 3 (ii) 0||(i) 0 (ii) 0||(i) 0 (ii) 0|
|(1 )This figure reflects the most up-to-date account balances available and includes approximately $64,000 of suspected terrorist funds frozen in the UK. This has been converted using exchange rates as of 02/10/12. (2 )Based on information held by the Treasury, some of these individuals hold dual nationality.|
There are no significant areas of activity to report on this quarter.
Appeals against designations made under the Terrorism (United Nations Measures) Order 2009 and TAFA 2010 were ongoing in the quarter covered by this report, brought by Zana Abdul Rahim and Gulam Mastafa. Mastafa’s case has been listed for a preliminary hearing on
In the quarter to
Annex 1—Designated persons under TAFA 2010 by name (3)
1. Hamed ABDOLLAHI 2. Bilal Talal ABDULLAH 3. Imad Khalil AL-ALAMI 4. Abdula Ahmed ALI 5. Abdelkarim Hussein AL-NASSER 6. Ibrahim Salih AL-YACOUB 7. Manssor ARBABSIAR 8. Usama HAMDAN 9. Nabeel HUSSAIN 10. Tanvir HUSSAIN 11. Zahoor IQBAL12. Umar ISLAM 13. Hasan IZZ-AL-DIN 14. Parviz KHAN 15.Waheed Arafat KHAN 16. Osman Adam KHATIB 17. Musa Abu MARZOUK 18. Gulam MASTAFA 19. Khalid MISHAAL
20. Khalid Shaikh MOHAMMED 21. Ramzi MOHAMMED 22. Sultan MUHAMMAD 23. Yassin OMAR 24. Hussein OSMAN 25. Zana Abdul RAHIM 26. Muktar Mohammed SAID 27. Assad SARWAR 28. Ibrahim SAVANT 29. Abdul Reza SHAHLAI 30. Ali Gholam SHAKURI 31. Qasem SOLEIMANI 32. Waheed ZAMAN
2. EJERCITO DE LIBERACION NACIONAL (ELN)
3. FUERZAS ARMADAS REVOLUCIONARIAS DE COLOMBIA (FARC)
4. HIZBALLAH MILITARY WING, INCLUDING EXTERNAL SECURITY ORGANISATION
5. HOLY LAND FOUNDATION FOR RELIEF AND DEVELOPMENT
7. POPULAR FRONT FOR THE LIBERATION OF PALESTINE (PFLP)
8. SENDERO LUMINOSO (SL)
(3)For full listing details please refer to: http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/d/terrorism.htm.
Annex 2—Persons designated by the EU under Council Regulation (EC)2580/2001 (4)
1. Hamed ABDOLLAHI(*) 2. Abdelkarim Hussein AL-NASSER(*) 3. Ibrahim Salih AL YACOUB(*) 4. Manssor ARBABSIAR(*) 5. Mohammed BOUYERI 6. Sofiane Yacine FAHAS 7. Hasan IZZ-AL-DIN(*) 8. Khalid Shaikh MOHAMMED(*) 9. Abdul Reza SHAHLAI(*) 10. All Gholam SHAKURI(*) 11. Qasem SOLEIMANI(*) 12. Jason Theodore WALTERS
Groups and Entities
2. Al-Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigade
3. Al-Aqsa e.V.
4. Al-Takfir and Al-Hijra
8. Büyük Dogu Akincilar Cephesi (IBDA-C) (Great Islamic Eastern Warriors Front)
9. Hamas, including Hamas-Izz al-Din al-Qassem
14. Khalistan Zindabad Force (KZF)
17. Ejército de Liberación Nacional (National Liberation Army)(*)
19. Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP)(*)
20. Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine—General Command (PFLP-GC)(*)
21. Fuerzas armadas revolucionarias de Colombia (FARC)(*)
22. Devrimci Halk Kurtulu Partisi-Cephesi—DHKP/C (Revolutionary People’s Liberation Army/Front/Party)
24. Stichting Al Aqsa
25. Teyrbazen Azadiya Kurdistan (TAK)
(4 )For full listing details please refer to: http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/d/terrorism.htm.
(*)EU listing rests on UK designation under TAFA 2010.